Dave Suda Retains The NSW State Title


NSW States mix

A lightning Regatta

Dave Suda retained the NSW State Title for 2013 in a lightning series on Sydney Harbour over the weekend. With Saturday’s racing actually severely curtailed by some of Sydney’s biggest lightning storms, rain and lack of wind and constant direction, only two races were held on Saturday in pretty nice but light conditions in the end. Sunday was a glamour day with a 10 – 16 knot SE breeze and plenty of sunshine, 4 races were held to give a thrilling climax to a close and tough fought weekend.

Sundays racing was close and hard fought from the get go with Sean Kirkjian taking a first on the Saturday and now already fighting for the championship with Dave Suda both on equal points after Saturdays racing, but both behind Ron Thompson who had a 1st and a 3rd going into Sunday.

This year’s fleet was smaller at 12 boats but the depth of the field was strong, with NSW stalwarts John Crawford, Dave West, Chris Lee, and Arthur Crothers all on the water. From Victoria were Dave Suda, Ron Thompson and Simon Grain steering Arthur’s Kaotic. Doug Watson from SA was also there in El Fideldo. Also rounding out the fleet were Starpac, Nokomis and Brett Hudson crewing for Jeanette Thompson on his own boat Wildfire.

A perfect breeze prevailed during the day as we raced across the harbor avoiding each other (most of the time) TP52s, ferries and everyone else on the harbor. Banging corners didn’t seem to work as well this year as there were considerable wind bends and lifts in the middle of the course. Arthur Crothers turned 70 and was presented with a wicked chocolate cake, Nokomis swam a crew member in one race and Kicking Bottom prepared to call starboard on a seaplane being just a few of the usual oddities in regattas.

As the day progressed it became clear that the regatta might just go back to Dave Suda from Victoria and he and Sean had a personal battle in the last race to decide the honours. In the end Dave retained the crown and Sean came second on a count back from an amazing performance from Ron in KB. Ron also taking out the Thommo Cup from Jeanette on Wildfire, although as a consolation she won the handicap section.

Once again the RPEYC venue excelled with sunny skies above the lawn at the waterfont of the club when it counted and lightning shows when it didn’t, friendly staff and capable race management meant we were happy both on and off the water. Commodore Sean once again amazingly ran the club (thanks to all the volunteers and staff), the class team (thanks to Paula and Tim), ran the crew ferry and still came second!  What a fantastic place, after years of grumbling, even Herschel loves the place and passed a thought of keeping a summer boat there. Talking about being there, getting there was an event in itself for some with huge storms on the Friday night, Joe Pearson taking nearly 6 hours to get there and making what must be an all time record for Luke Mathews taking 19 hrs to fly to Sydney from Melbourne (via Launceston).

Now is the time to think about a trip to Royal Prince Edwards, as the 2014 Nationals will also be held here in January 4 – 9th. If you want a great place to sail, a great place to relax in between racing, then RPEYC is your summer regatta of choice.

From Simon


The ‘J24 Stig’ also chips in:

Once again the foreign invaders triumphed in the NSW J24 State Titles held at RPEYC.

The slick crew work on David Suda’s Pacemaker came to the fore when the pressure was on in the final races. After drop calculated for the top 3 boats Pacemaker, Sailpac and Kicking Bottom were equal on 6 points after 4 races, with the ever competitive Chris Lee on Vortex nipping at the stern.

Tom Waterhouse had Suda as early race favourite with the betting wide open for the minors. The performance of the weekend came from evergreen veteran Ron Thompson, who once again prized the Thompson Cup from Janette’s grasp.

Nestled amongst the Blue Ribbon Mansions of Double Bay the RPEYC was the idyllic setting for the Ashes on water between the States. The lone representative from Festival State (SA)  and home of Mass murderers “El Fidelo” snuck under the radar and had some great results. Once the trough of bad weather brought up by the Victorians cleared we had some fantastic racing. The TP52 sailors next to our track looked on in envy of the tight, competitive and sometimes aggressive nature of J24 racing made their regatta look like a contiki tour.

Once the spray had settled the committee from NSW’s had to accept they would once again be invoiced for trophy engraving by David Suda. A worthy champion with a great crew; however the admiration will soon disappear and sledging begin with the Nationals around the corner.

Thank you everyone who made the huge effort of bringing your boats to the regatta and we hope to see you all in January for the Nationals.  Unfortunately we will not be using Paula’s scales from home at the Nationals so make sure your crew weights are correct.


More from Ronnie Green …

SYDNEY Harbour on a weekend – expect the unusual and you will still be surprised

The J24s had a great weekend of racing on Sydney Harbour which lived up to its reputation as a venue which tests your heart beat to the maximum.  Great location, spectacular sights and even more unusual things to plan and look out for on the water.

On Saturday we all sat at the magnificent Royal Prince Edward Yacht Club (RPEYC) drinking our Pimms, watching the stream of thunderstorms cross the harbour. Some played pool while others started watching that sledging game on TV.  We were calmly interrupted every 46 minutes by an announcement from Sean that a decision on sailing is imminent, don’t go away and just wait for the next 30 minutes.   The wind kept blowing from the north, no … south east, no … north east, no … east, changing every 5 minutes from 6 knots to nothing.  After about our 10th bottle of Pimms, suddenly there was a gap in the thunderstorms and guess what, we are all on the water sailing out to the start line.  Only the wind died again, sails dropped and engines came out again.  Decision to sail to be made at 3pm and at 2:55pm KB was seen circling the committee boat desperate to get back to watching that sledging game and the 11th bottle of Pimms.  No … the wind arrived from the North and low and behold we are off.

RPEYC has unique rounding marks being the colour red, which is fantastic as every other mark laid on the Harbour is yellow.  You can imagine the mess as there are a few races being sailed at the same time.  The top mark was laid 0.6 km upwind (important fact to remember).  The fleet took off and everyone went left eyes searching the harbour for something red.  Yes I see two red marks near South Head amongst the 20 other yellow marks and KB tacked as they appear to be near the east side of the harbour.  That’s the longest 0.6km I have seen was yelled from the back of the boat, there must be others.  Yes was the answer and there is another red mark but only one. Well find the other one was the answer.   Suddenly a fishing boat moved and the second red mark was found right in front of our position.  Don’t point!!! Just keep quiet as Ace and us are the only ones who know. I call it brilliant tacking – my sister called it something else starting with a……

Next lap we were out in front rounded the top mark put up the kite brilliantly and found ourselves right under a 50ft yawl with a mast head spinnaker.  Had to quickly gybe away and our competitor quietly went to windward.  Who was supposed to looking out for this was the yell again from the back of the boat.  Answer – YOU.  Kept quiet then.  We had to do some deft manoeuvres to stay in front.

Sunday was a fun day as all the fleets came out including the TP52s who started next to us and sailed across our course.  Lovely.  I remember completing a tack to lay the top mark when the bow sprit of a TP52 just passed behind us travelling at 10 times our speed.

Race number four the top marks were laid just south of Shark Island.  We were flying chasing Sean and the breeze was a bit tricky near the rounding mark.  Suddenly there was a call watch out for the plane so I cast my eyes skywards thinking there was a low flying sea plane about to land.  Silly me, no the plane was right in front of us about to take off.  You have to learn to expect the unexpected on Sydney Harbour.  Fortunately it moved so no harm done except to the heart.

On one downwind leg there were four boats charging to the port rounding mark to go south on starboard so we went to the starboard mark to head up the middle on port.  Suddenly there was a call for a ferry rounding Bradley’s head.  A quick look up checking our VMG against the speed of the Manly Ferry (about 20 knots) indicated if we don’t look and keep our eyes closed we should make it across.  What a fantastic feeling as we tacked to starboard to see us windward of the ferry and the rest of the fleet behind it.  I thought this was brilliant sailing but my sister said a…. again.  Her vocabulary is not very good.  The excitement only was short lived as that bloke Sean came from behind the ferry and crossed us and then I said a….

The race committee decided we should go for a picnic on Shark Island, as they laid the top mark close enough to visit.  One time we tacked to lay the mark easily. Learnt lessons from the past, when suddenly the genoa backed as the wind changed 90 degrees on us.  We tacked only to see Nokomis coming at us on starboard.  A bit of yelling and screaming but thanks to a great effort from the crew we made it around without putting more green paint on the opposition boats.

Overall on behalf of the crew of KB, thank you to the officials and management of RPEYC for a great regatta, brilliant venue and magnificent support crews taking us to and from our mooring, one even gave us a tourist lecture of the houses in the Bay.  I look forward to January when the Harbour will be clear and at its best.

New South Wales State Championships 2013
Royal Prince Edward Yacht Club
Sail # Race 1 Race 2 Race 3 Race 4 Race 5 Race 6 Total Drop Final Score Place
Pacemaker 5333 5 2 1 3 1 1 13 5 8 1st
Sail Pac 5085 6 1 4 1 2 5 19 6 13 2nd
Kicking Bottom 1324 1 3 3 2 6 4 19 6 13 3rd
Vortex 4796 3 5 2 5 5 2 22 5 17 4th
Innaminka 4793 4 9 6 9 3 3 34 9 25 5th
Ace 4801 2 8 7 7 4 9 37 9 28 6th
El Fidelo 4859 11 4 5 4 8 6 38 11 27 7th
Kaotic 4792 9 6 8 8 9 8 48 9 39 8th
Nokomis 4851 10 7 10 6 7 10 50 10 40 9th
Wildfire 5058 8 10 9 10 11 7 55 11 44 10th
Starpack 5247 7 11 11 12 12 11 64 12 52 11th
Waterbourne Again 4764 12 12 12 11 10 13 70 13 57 12th



1 thought on “Dave Suda Retains The NSW State Title”

  1. Great weekend guys! Thanks race committee and management team for making it easy and enjoyable for all. Congratulations again to the Pacemaker crew and Big Congrats to my big brother and crew for some fantastic racing in the green machine. Thanks Sean for everything!
    Looking forward to next one!

Comments are closed.